Alberta Blue Cross® is proud to give another six communities a chance to make their dreams of active living a reality through their Healthy Communities Grant Program, which has supported more than two dozen projects across the province with funding totalling $1.6 million.
Recognizing the challenges communities face in creating amenities to promote active living, Alberta Blue Cross® responded by launching their Healthy Communities Grant Program in 2013.
Over the last seven years, our program has given funds to support amenities including bike and skateboard parks, outdoor gyms, sports courts, and of course, new and replacement playgrounds.
Six new recipients were announced for 2019 including the following:
- Edmonton: St. Elizabeth Parent Advisory Board – playground replacement.
- Calgary: Riverbend Elementary School – inclusive playground development.
- Secondary cities: Christina Gordon public school in Fort McMurray – accessible and inclusive playground enhancement.
- Rural communities: Alder Flats Elementary School fundraising society – playground redevelopment.
- Indigenous communities: Enoch Cree Nation – Maskekosihk community playground project.
- Special merit: Medicine Hat Early Childhood Coalition – natural playground.
“The Healthy Communities Grant Program supports community projects that reflect our mandate of giving back to the community while encouraging the health and wellness of all Albertans,” says Brian Geislinger, vice-president of Corporate Relations with Alberta Blue Cross®.
Each year grants for $50,000 are awarded in Edmonton, Calgary, one secondary city and one rural community with a focus on ensuring grants are equitably distributed on a regional basis. In 2017, Alberta Blue Cross® expanded the program by adding a ‘special merit’ grant, and in 2018 they further expanded the program by adding a grant specifically for projects in Indigenous communities. Funding for the program comes from the ABC Benefits Corporation Foundation.
Want to learn more about other community initiatives at Alberta Blue Cross®? See how we’re involved on our community page.